[ SHOWGSD-L ] Apology to the Board

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:00:43 -0800

Well, here goes - in regards to the comment made earlier by me which said
"Bad Board", I want to apologize.  I went and reread the P&P, Bylaws and RRO
(I have the 10th edition, maybe it's changed since).

From the P&P:

Names For/Against: The Minutes will reflect the votes for or against an
issue. At the April 1985 Board meeting it was decided that names of those
who voted for, against, or abstain, will be recorded in the Minutes.
Subsequently, at the January 1997 Board meeting, after discussion and legal
input, the following was adopted. We, as a Board, are not required by our
Bylaws to record names. If we record the number (not names) of yeas, nays
and abstentions, we will meet the minimum requirements. The Minutes will
include the number of years, nays and abstentions and the names of the
minority vote. All Board members present or absent are noted as such at the
beginning and during the course of the meeting. By recording the names of
only the minority vote, it is a simple matter to determine who voted with
the majority. Amended Motions: Yeas and nays for amended motions will also
be recorded in the same manner in the Minutes. Seconds to a motion need not
be recorded.

Recording of Votes by the Board: The Following understandings were reached
by the Board after Discussion of the legal input. We, as a Board, are not
required by our Bylaws to record names. If we record the number (not names)
of yeas, nays, and abstentions, we will meet the minimum requirements. The
Minutes will include the number of yeas, nays and abstentions and the names
of the minority vote.

All Board members present or absent are noted as such at the beginning. By
recording the names of only the minority vote, it is a simple matter to
determine who voted with the majority. Amended Motions: Yeas and nays for
amended motions will also be recorded in the Minutes. Seconds to a motion
need not be recorded. Rationale: A Board member may occasionally propose a
motion or an amendment to get it on the floor for discussion but may, in
fact, vote in opposition of the motion and/or amendment.

Explanations of voting decisions shall be excluded from the minutes.

Voting by (Secret) Ballot: See Robert's Rules of Order

So, off to Roberts Rules I went (This is from www.rulesonline.com
<http://www.rulesonline.com/>  for ease of having to retype it - the 10th
edition is a little different, but basically the same):  Voting by Ballot.
The main object of this form of voting is secrecy, and it is resorted to
when the question is of such a nature that some members might hesitate to
vote publicly their true sentiments. Its special use is in the reception of
members, elections, and trials of members and officers, as well as in the
preliminary steps in both cases, and the by-laws should require the vote to
be by ballot in such cases. Where the by-laws do not require the vote to be
by ballot, it can be so ordered by a majority vote, or by general consent.
Such motions are undebatable.

Well, I suspect that in this case, the bylaws do take precedence, ie:  The
bylaw says that the yeah's and Nay's must be recorded in the minutes,
tempered by the P&P which indicates that only the Nay's have to be published
- In any event, this is hard to do with a secret ballot.  However, based
upon the above, it is not unacceptable to have a secret ballot, for that I
apologize for making the "bad board" comment.

Now that all being said - I think it would behoove all of the Nay voters to
come forward - and let's get this thing behind us.  There are more important
fish to fry.  The Yes voters are not required to say "why" they voted the
way they did - but perhaps it wouldn't hurt in this particular case.

Kathaleen