[ SHOWGSD-L ] Anatomy discussion

  • From: morton goldfarb <janandmort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:17:58 -0500 (EST)

I really appreciate the interest and comments by all that this thread has
produced. We need this type of discussions.
A comment was made about the neck angle and croup angle being equal. The neck
angles are so variable at all times and the only thing consistent is the number
of vertebra.
I certainly can conceive at some point that they may be equal but not as a
standard point of reference.
The croup needs to be judged in motion as the position of the rear legs
influences the angle when the dog is stationary but not when in motion!!
If we must compare angles then compare the croup angle with the angle of the
pasterns as they are very similar.
According to the literature the croup should be 23 degrees and according to the
FCI standard the pastern angle is 20 degrees and the AKC standard is 25 degrees
so the middle is 22.5 BUT WHO PUTS A PROTRACTOR on any angle --it is the eyes
of the beholder.
The neck angle is extremely variable in all circumstances.
Another point discussed at length is the forequarter.
If the animal is correct with proper power from the hindquarter over a strong
back to a proper forehand the front foot extension should only extend to the
tip of the nose when the animal is in a correct trot.
The best work explaining form and function is by Italian authors Bonetti and
Gorrieri.
Thanks,
Morton

What was was, what is is --but what was is and what is was!!

Morton Goldfarb