[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Anatomy discussion

  • From: morton goldfarb <janandmort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:49:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ann,
I agree with you and must add that the phenotype(what you see) should resemble
the background animals(genotype) if those qualities are to come to the
forefront. Close line breeding on what you desire is the way to see if your
partners exhibit those qualities BUT there are so many variables in the genetic
link.
The Standard is just what should be--- but the eye of the evaluator is what is
important and each animal is judged according to the standard and there are
objective criteria that are "measurable" not by a protractor but by the
experience of those evaluating.
I was fortunate enough to be asked to apply for my full German judging license
which means being able to judge in Germany as well as all other countries. I
had my AKC judging certificate 3 years before I was evaluated in Germany.
I had to have 6 apprentice shows and write up each dog judged in German and
submit this to the Breed Board for approval. These evaluations were written
appraisals of each animal in descending position. So the descriptions had to
include each compared to the standard. This also had to be done at ringside
following each class from 1 to the last one judged.
Where is all this leading??
WE MUST KNOW WHAT THE STANDARD SAYS AND WHY.
Time may hopefully come when a judge will be REQUIRED to give a MEANINGFUL
critique after each class and then we will see a renewed enthusiasm from all
and this will be a stimulus for new people to join as they understand what the
judge saw and why the placements were given. That is a battle as the AKC does
not approve but where there is a will there is a way!!!
Thanks,
Morton

What was was, what is is --but what was is and what is was!!

Morton Goldfarb