[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A new can of worms

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "D.D. and Bonnie Ardoin" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:55:39 -0500

 A dog that is untrustworthy. overly aggressive without provocation is a
loaded gun. If a dog bites or makes an attempt to bite me or anyone in my
family or child unprovoked, it makes a one way trip to the vet. A
trustworthy sound  dog that is standing his ground and gives a warning
bite( the hand or calf) to an unannounced stranger  I don't penalize but he
is on strict probation until I know for sure he is not becoming unsound(
and yes dogs can become unsound). I have warning signs on my property..on
the gates that dogs are present. I try to avoid potentially bad situations
by bringing all dogs out of the kennel on a leash to greet new people and
children so I can assess the situation and still maintain control over it.
If the people are comfortable around dogs..not afraid..children not
screaming and slapping at the dog, I turn the dog loose to play. If I see
that people aren't good around dogs..I put the dog back up.  I have NEVER
placed an untrustworthy dog with anyone or kept an untrustworthy dog in my
kennel..I don't want the liability..and I would feel guilty if that dog bit
someone, especially a child and scarred them for life. One of the most
touching stories I had told to me involved my neighbor( who was like a
second dad to me) who went to Vietnam and had bought a Lab before he got
drafted. After he left..the dog had no attention. His kennel was set up
close to a fence and often kids would provoke him. Needless to say after a
couple of years of being provoked, the dog  became rather unpleasant. He
was a handsome dog, very striking, large with a very strong muscular body ,
I was intrigued by him. He worshiped the ground my neighbor walked on and
my neighbor adored him.. When my neighbor's tour do duty was over..he began
to doing some hunting with the dog. One day he was in his fenced  yard
working with the dog..I was little..only about 8 or so..and the dog was
loose in the yard. I couldn't wait to see him and pet him. I ran through
the gate and right up to the dog, he seemed friendly at first, I put my
face right in his  face..and he bit me..right through the nose.Boy did it
bleed! I remember my neighbor being distraught..I remember me saying"it
wasn't the dog's fault.!." End of story..until 37 years later.  I ran into
my neighbor at our local hang out about 2 years ago He joined us for a
drink..we sat talked.He asked about the dogs..and  that incident came up.
He told me the next day after the dog had bit me, that he put the dog down
as he couldn't bear the thought of thinking about what could have
happened..I didn't know what to say..I got pretty  teary eyed and said
"Why,,it was my fault he didn't deserve that." But this man..who I know
adored this dog, was more devastated by what happened to me than his love
for the dog. I was touched beyond what I could express. C.Grainger

<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 7/19/2006 2:09:46 PM
> Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] A new can of worms
>
> The big question is "What do you do with the dogs in your kennel that are
> not sound"?  This does occasionally happen with breeders with the best
> intentions but as everyone knows, s**t happens!  How do you dispose of
these
> unwanted animals?  Enquiring minds want to know.  D.D.

National..when
> > you might be keeping and breeding dogs who could not pass  the criteria
if
> > they were shown at a  National?  C.Grainger
> >

> > Bless you Christine for that statement.
> >
> > So, how can we motivate breeders to that end?  Not force, but  motivate.
> >
> > We have talked about the "Breeders Code" before.  As it is now the PC
> > requires only the promise from the breeders to do the right thing.  An
> excellent
> > tool, that is being underused.
> >
> > So..........what if............for the Parent Club to issue the
"Breeders
> > Code" as a stamp of approval, the breeders have to do health and
> temperament
> > screening on their dogs?  I know there are lots of frowns anytime people
> > mention the "w" word (warden).  But if everyone is doing the right
thing,
> what's
> > the problem?
> >
> > Now, this is just a thought, no need to send the swat team to my  house.
> > Besides, they couldn't get thru TJ and Dino....LOL.........I can  hear
the
> > uproar.....that's why I am putting on my ear plugs.
> >

> > Ileana
> > Chance favors the prepared  mind

> > POST is Copyrighted 2006.  All material remains the property of the
FORWARDS
> of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author
> AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
> >
> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY
BE