[sac-forum] Re: Dirt Rd vs. Saddle Mountain

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 9:07:26 -0500

---- Steve Coe <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I will leave this with "keep looking".  I believe that there is a site out
> there that meets the criteria of pretty easy to get to and good skies, we
> just need to find it.

I haven't been to Dirt Blvd., but what I could see from a Google Earth light
pollution overlay is that it is not as dark as Saddle Mountain, involved more
driving, and more dirt road to reach.  The only advantage I can see is that it
does not have the headlight problem of Saddle Mountain.

Saddle Mountain would be nearly perfect if the headlight problem can be solved.
 Look at the yellow arrows on  the attached image (assuming we can attach on
SAC-Forum).  The headlights cross the field because Dobbins Road points right
at it for a quarter mile or so.  I wonder if there might be a location within a
mile or two of the current Saddle Mountain site in which the headlight problem
does not exist.  Perhaps something farther along the Gas Line Road will work.

Anyway, a search that stays within a couple mile radius of the current site
might be worth a try.

Tom