[sac-board] Re: Observing Awards

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:54:44 -0700

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:24:31 -0700, AJ Crayon wrote:

> I believe the recipient should pay some amount for the award plus
> shipping.  I believe $12.00USD would be sufficient to cover the cost of the
> plate and return shipping.

While the plates for the Messier Marathon are just over $9, the observing
awards for Messier and SAC 110 are $18 (I just checked the books).  It's
doubtful that the $12 will cover this. :-)  Return shipping is about $4
(Priority Mail, the standard rate is only slightly cheaper and can take
weeks rather than days).

These awards are given with the expectation that members will have been or
will remain members for several years, as well as some members never
likely to obtain these awards in the short term.