[sac-board] Re: Observing Awards

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:56:10 -0700

Dear Board Members;

I have an opinion here and it is nothing but that.

I don't think that we ought to start down the path of providing awards to
people who are not SAC members.  I have a variety of questions about what
happens if we start to do that:

What happens when AJ or Jack don't want to do the work of providing the out of
state awards anymore?
Is there going to be someone else to take their place?
How much do we charge?  Should the club make a small profit?

I am sorry, I just don't think that the rewards of providing nationwide awards
are worth the effort.
I am know that effort might be small, but there are some pitfalls that we might
not see.

Let these folks use the list for their observing and enjoy that, but giving out
awards on a wide scale might be more than we want to take on.  And it might not.

Steve

stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx
Author:  Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist
Saguaro Astronomy Club web site: