[sac-board] Re: Need a format for "show and tell"

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:44:30 -0700

>Jeff and others,
>The video projector does nothing but project the video. You connect the
>vga/svga output on your computer (Mac or Windoze) to the corresponding
>input on the projector. In this regard your laptop doesn't know (or
>care) if this connected device is a projector or a monitor -- it is just
>a device being fed the video signal.
>
>The problem described below (in #3 and #4) is really a function of what
>software the person has on their laptop to begin with, and which file
>types are associated with which applications. If I choose to associate
>JPG with my browser, then the browser would be used to display them. I
>happen to associate TXT files with UltraEdit, so that program launches
>(instead of the normal Notepad) when I double-click on a TXT file. And I
>associate JPG and TIF files with Spicer Imagenation, so that program is
>used to display JPG and TIF files.
>
>Personally, I don't think it's necessary to require that all presenters
>embed their images in a PowerPoint presentation. They should just know
>how to display the images on their laptop -- the projector merely
>projects. If someone can navigate through their presentation beforehand,
>they shouldn't have any problem once the projector is connected, as
>nothing changes.
>
>All Win laptops have a keyboard toggle for directing the video output,
>and it can be directed to the screen, to the 'vide out' or to both. On
>my IBM it is accomplished using the Function key + F7, and it toggles
>through the 3 options sequentially.
>
>Maybe I'm off base here... I wasn't at Friday's meeting, so I didn't
>witness the issues firsthand... but it sounds like we are making this
>way more complicated than it is.
>
>Peter

The problem is that for first time presentations, some things can be
big problems. The combination of first time, Windows and my being
deaf complicated things Friday. If I could have had 15 minutes before
hand to set up and test, things would have gone much smoother.  Since
I had zero time to test, I had to wing it and therein was most of the
problems. Too help ensure smoother presentations, particularly for
those who have not done it before, I think a guide would be very
welcome.

In reality, a browser is a very poor choice of a program to view
images. A graphics program is usually much better and allows more
control. While I am not a fan of PowerPoint, I do think it would
minimize problems since it only requires a forward or reverse
selection for the slides. This is particularly true in the Windows
world. Macs have always been far more advanced in handling graphics.
You do not have to say PowerPoint is require, just suggest it.

As you say, it sounds like we are making this more complex that it
is, BUT when you have zero time to enter into an area you have not
been before and in the middle of a meeting and when you could find
out zero about what to expect, it becomes most important to know what
to do beforehand. Once having done this you become an expert, but
prior to that you just might end up having a fiasco like I did. If
the goal is to have efficient presentations so the meeting go
smoothly, then either allow people to setup before the meeting and
test and/or have instructions on what to expect and what to do along
with suggestions.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins