[sac-board] Re: Need a format for "show and tell"

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:55:28 -0700

At 10:15 -0700 7/5/04, AJ Crayon wrote:
>Jeff, glad to see you tried arriving early to resolve technical problems
>and sorry they didn't work out.  To minimize this in the future, I
>think, the problem or problems you encounted need to be reviewed to
>determine what lesson or lessons we can learn in order to minimize this
>in the future.  I know others have done presentations using the same
>equipment and haven't had problems, so I think this would go a long ways
>to resolution in order this not happen in the future.
>
>aj

Thanks AJ,

Prior to the meeting, I tried to find out to no avail, how other
people did this. Since I now know how the projector interface works,
if I give a presentation in the future, I am sure it will go much
smoother.

A simple guide to presenters might be a good idea. This could be put
on the SAC web site. From what I can tell:

1. The projector should work with Mac or Windows.

2. The projector just shows what is in the computer's window. No
other software is required.

3.  Using a Mac, a folder of .jpg or .gif images along with something
like Graphic Converter (freeware) one could just click the images to
show full screen versions. Practice ahead of time and adjustment of
the image scale for full screen should be done and the adjusted
images saved.

4.  On a Wintel box I'm not sure what the best approach for this
method is. As seen Friday, just clicking on the images on the Dell
would not open them. A web browser was needed. Not a very smooth
operation. Something like the Mac GraphicConverter might work, but I
don't know what would be good.

5.  To make the best presentation I think a PowerPoint set of slides
should be created with the images embedded. This should work on both
the Mac and Windows. I've tested it now and unless something changes
when the projector is connected, this should work well with either
platform.

6.  I think Tom might be able to add some words on setting up the
projector as there are numerous buttons on it for color, focus and
whatever.  Some words on when to connect and disconnect the laptop
would be good. I don't thing power needs to be off, but there may be
a procedure to make going from one laptop to the next smoother.

It seems with Windows you need to switch the laptop to an external
monitor/projector. There is a key on the Dell called F8 CRT/LCD.
Selecting that turns off the laptop display and sends the output to
the external device (projector). It has been awhile since I have done
anything like this with my Mac PowerBook, but as I recall you just
need to connect the external device and you will see presentations on
both the PowerBook monitor and external device.

One of the problems Friday was that even though I had practiced this
several times before and had scaled all the images and then minimized
them so they could be clicked on, when I tried to wake up the Dell at
the meeting, it would not wake up and I had to restart it and in the
process lost all the minimized images. So that is not a good way to
go.

If there is interest I would be happy to put together a web
presentation on all this. It can be put on the SAC web site or I can
host it and the SAC site can just link to it. I'm open to suggestions
and willing to do what I can to help.

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins