[sac-board] Grand Canyon North Rim Sponsorship?

  • From: Steve D. <fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Board <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:00:57 -0700

Hi all,
  I got a call from Margie Williams New Year's Eve asking if Rosie and I would
like to coordinate the North Rim version of the 2008 Grand Canyon Star Party.
I told her we'd think about it, and we've decided we'd be willing, but I'd like
to run it by SAC and see what happens.  I talked with Dean Ketelson, who as you
know has coordinated the South Rim for 17 years now.  He informs me that the
term "Sponsor" is somewhat misleading, and it boils down to mostly a single
contact for volunteers and acting as liason to the National Forest Service
Rangers.  We would handle the wide range publicity and they would take care of
in-park publicity.
  The North Rim has pretty much always been a mish mash of organization, (no
offense, Margie), with the Utah club sort of in charge.  When the coordinators
disappeared a few years ago, any form of organization went with them.  Margie,
Jack and Chuch did an admirable job.  I'd very much like to make it more
structured and successful, as the South Rim is.
  There are only a few things we'd need to do.
  First, I'd contact the designated Ranger to get things rolling, outlining my
intentions and org chart, as it were.
  Second, we'd have to change the info available to the main TAAA website on
GCSP 2008 saying the North Rim IS viable and whom to contact, (me).
  Third, set up our own web page on GCSPNR 2008 and coordinate with TAAA to
make sure our info is the same.
   Details to set up with NFS include setting aside camp sites for volunteers,
reserving the lecture hall for our traditional "Twilight Chats", and publishing
an info packet a'la Dean's volunteer packet.
  Distribution of the fee waivers and info packets have been converted to email
attachments, and Dean says there's no monetary output there anymore.  He had a
slick banner printed up, (and approved as the only banner allowed at SR), to
announce the party to passers-by.  Could cost a couple hundred bucks, so we'll
need approval from the general membership.  Dean also has included a
"Complimentary Newsletter Membership" to TAAA for attending the entire week.
I'd think we could do the same.  Since space is limited for setup, we'd have to
limit the number of volunteers so this shouldn't be much of a problem either.
  Please let me know what you think ASAP, so I can get things rolling.  Grand
Canyon North needs reservations early so they can be ready to open up in May
and we'll need to have a general idea as soon as possible.
  Thanks for your input.

Steve Dodder
President, Saguaro Astronomy Club
Director, Stone Haven Observatory

fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman
The best games are on Xbox 360.  Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360
Console.