[sac-board] Re: Grand Canyon North Rim Sponsorship?

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:34:18 -0700

Steve,
If anyone could untangle the North Rim mess it would be you.  But man o' man
it's a tangle.  Maybe to look into it a bit more and get all versions of
what happened last year before taking this on.  I think I thought I may have
understood that the ranger on the N. Rim was just not interested as they
have their own astronomy program.  Then you have to consider the lodge there
is not owned by the National Park System so the question of lighting gets a
little sticky.  The lodge patio where the starparty has been set up in the
past is way too small and should only accommodate part of the star party
like maybe 5 scopes esp. it they're ladder dobs.  Some thought has been
given to having the star party elsewhere on the N. Rim or in the N. Kaibab
Forest/Jacob Lake area but you'd need to have a shuttle much like the S. Rim
in that case.  There is a large group campground that faces the Transept
that might be a possibility--you probably needed to reserve it like last
year though.  2 GCSP's ago Tom and I got some kind of double top secret
permission (sort of) to camp on Cape Royal with the idea of figgerin if it
would be a good star party venue.  It could really be the ideal spot--almost
an island jutting out into the canyon, dark, restrooms, enough parking area
for plenty of astronomers with scopes, but it's ~20 mile drive from Visitor
Center on a curly road so shuttle bus would have to be mandatory for safety
and for space restriction.  Oh, and when we camped there the wind almost
blew our truck over--really.  But that may have been some sort of anomaly.
Didn't get to observe but sure would've loved to.  Probably all stuff you
know about anyway.
I know Bill Dellinges and his wife Laura did the N. Rim last year as
well--They're in EVAC.  Maybe to talk with them a bit to see what they
thought of the situation.

Another consideration is the SAC sponsored pizza lunch on the 1st Sunday at
the S Rim; would that necessarily have to change?

Jennifer

Telrad: FYI--Hungary is in the EU and have traded their forints for Euros.