Re: rump{bake,run} configuration files (Re: Make rumpbake more flexible)

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: v.krishnakumar@xxxxxxxxx, justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:28:43 +0000

On 30/09/15 09:49, Krishna wrote:

The config file could be used as a component registry (JSON should be
enough) for specifying component->libs mapping and inter-component
dependencies. Then it becomes private to rumpbake. The end user only has to
provide the top-level component names as part of the command invocation.
Something like --list-components helps a lot with discoverability of the
components as well.

Components outside the rumpun tree need to supply a config file providing
the above mappings which can then be merged with the built-in registry at
launch time.

Let's think that through. Say someone wants to do networking. Ok, dependencies. The top-level component is sockets. What's next? ipv4? ipv6? both? neither (as in some sockin-derivative)? which interface driver do you pick?

If someone can figure out a "DWIM" scheme which works for everyone's needs, great, but I'm not overly optimistic that it can be done. My lack of optimism shouldn't stop anyone from trying and presenting a tested solution, though.