Re: rump{bake,run} configuration files (Re: Make rumpbake more flexible)

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:52:49 +0000

On 27/08/15 11:34, Wei Liu wrote:

1. Add a '-c CONFIG' option to rumpbake.

Ok, but what does it do in case of duplicates? Override previous ones?
Override them but print something to stderr? Error out?

I would say if user ever specifies a config file we shouldn't read the
default one. That is a simple solution to an open-ended question.

That's essentially the same as "override previous ones", but it has an extra weakness: the user has to track where the target is instead of the system doing it for the user. So if you're baking for a bunch of targets (e.g. in a script or Makefile), you also need a table of whether or not to specify -c for which targets.

Furthermore, require RUMPBAKE_CONFVERS to be specified in each config file,
just so that we don't have to make sure to break the syntax if we change
semantics.

And also print out RUMPBAKE_CONFVERS in rumpbake (--help?) output so
that user and automatic system has an idea what version is expected.
This is a trivial thing I think of.

Sure, good idea.