Re: rumpbake support for baked-in rootfs

  • From: Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pooka@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 21:38:41 +1000

You can currently, for testing purposes, hardcode a config file directly
into that C file in the aptly-named "hardcoded_jsoncfg[]" so you don't
essentially have to worry about anything else.

OK I can see that in the code. Where should I look to find what options I can
put into the config file and how I should structure it (presumably JSON of
course but I assume essentially key/value pairs - anyway if there’s an example
I can copy)?

For proper config support, you need to figure out how to pass the config
file to each instance via the AWS launcher. I assume that's possible
somehow, but don't know the details.

On EC2 there is the concept of “userdata” which is a 16K block of data that the
booting instance can retrieve from http://169.254.169.254/latest/user-data

I believe userdata can be any format including base64 so an encoded config file
could be put there.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ec2-instance-metadata.html