Re: rumpbake support for baked-in rootfs

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 06:32:52 +0000

On 06/06/15 07:58, Andrew Stuart wrote:

When I run it on EC2 I get the nasty error below.

Now one thing is that I have lost track of where we got to with making rump
work on EC2. I made it work with a manual code patch from Antti, and then
Martin came up with a patch, then Antti came up with a revision to the code.
So I’m not exactly sure what I need to do to replicate the original fix to the
networking that made it work on EC2 - Antti would you mind summarising please
what I need to do to correctly configure the network for EC2 - is there
something I need to change or should it now be automatic?

PANIC: could not get configuration
minios: halting, reason=0

Look at platform/xen/callmain.c. You're getting the error because xenstore doesn't work on EC2. You can currently, for testing purposes, hardcode a config file directly into that C file in the aptly-named "hardcoded_jsoncfg[]" so you don't essentially have to worry about anything else. Yes, it's inflexible, but probably sufficient for testing.

The current and almost equally inflexible testing alternative is to put the config file on the rootfs and use ROOTFSCFG=/filename. See app-tools/rumprun::bake_iso() for details.

Both of the above options will allow you to proceed with the non-config bits of AWS support.

For proper config support, you need to figure out how to pass the config file to each instance via the AWS launcher. I assume that's possible somehow, but don't know the details. At any rate, callmain.c::get_config() is where you'd hook that code.