Re: name of cc in the renamed rumprun toolchain

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:09:37 +0000

On 03/07/15 09:59, Martin Lucina wrote:

That adds a level of complication as opposed to just building
software for the host. If you run build-rr without setting CC, you
now have to know if your cc is gcc or clang. I assume most people
are like me: don't care what cc is as long as it produces runnable
binary.

Ok, if we want the easiest possible "out of the box" experience for
newbies, then I have a better idea:

- introduce a helper script / Makefile.inc / whatever, called
rumprun-detect.sh

- This script either just uses $RUMPRUN_PLATFORM if set, setting $CC /
$HOST appropriately

- If $RUMPRUN_PLATFORM is not set, it goes hunting for
*-rumprun-netbsd*-gcc on $PATH. If it finds a *single* toolchain, it uses
that automatically.

- If it does not find a toolchain, it complains.

How does that sound?

I'm not too enamoured. It adds a bunch of magic and doesn't do anything to serve as "training wheels" for a real case. This is probably another case of knowing to stop before making things too simple.

I'll just document the compiler extensively in the "your first rumprun unikernel" tutorial I plan to write now.