Re: name of cc in the renamed rumprun toolchain

  • From: Martin Lucina <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 12:05:31 +0200

On Friday, 03.07.2015 at 11:59, Martin Lucina wrote:

On Thursday, 02.07.2015 at 21:52, Antti Kantee wrote:
On 02/07/15 15:50, Martin Lucina wrote:
If so, should we keep -cc as an alias for -gcc, so as to simplify
instructions to not always have to contain "if you want to use gcc,
set CC to -gcc, if you want to use clang, set CC to -clang"?

The instructions can just say "set CC to the rumprun cross compiler you
built" or similar, I'd not bother enumerating the possibilities.

That adds a level of complication as opposed to just building
software for the host. If you run build-rr without setting CC, you
now have to know if your cc is gcc or clang. I assume most people
are like me: don't care what cc is as long as it produces runnable
binary.

Ok, if we want the easiest possible "out of the box" experience for
newbies, then I have a better idea:

- introduce a helper script / Makefile.inc / whatever, called
rumprun-detect.sh

- This script either just uses $RUMPRUN_PLATFORM if set, setting $CC /
$HOST appropriately

- If $RUMPRUN_PLATFORM is not set, it goes hunting for
*-rumprun-netbsd*-gcc on $PATH. If it finds a *single* toolchain, it uses
that automatically.

- If it does not find a toolchain, it complains.

How does that sound?

In case it's not clear, this is for building packages from the
rumprun-packages repository. If you're building something else from
scratch, then I'd expect you to know exactly what compiler / host you want
to use.