[rollei_list] Re: slide shows alive and well in Europe

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:46:01 -0400

Earlier this year I was asked to present a slide program in a "state of the art" auditorium by the Ohio Department of Workers Compensation. When I found out out that they had converted from a slide projection system to Powerpoint, I declined the request. Fortunately, the large screen was still available and they were able to secure an Ektagraphic projector for the presentation, so I was able to proceed with the program, after all. But the handwriting is on the wall, as it were.

Nevertheless, although powerpoint has its uses, I will not use it to display my photographs, ever. And that is all I have to say on the subject.

Allen Zak

On Oct 5, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Peter J Nebergall wrote:

I have a friend with an old Pradovit. He won't sell. I have NEVER seen
an adequate projection of a photographic image via powerpoint. That
system is set up for colors at the ega level, and is bombarding its
victims with dim, dull, kindergarten-level piecharts and graphs. Good
for boffins, maybe...

I agree with you.

Peter
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:18:27 -0700 Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
Peter,

It is not the unreliability that disturbs me.  It is the dim, fuzzy
images that

irritate me.  The company at which I am employed has the finest
digital
projection equipment. but the results are pathetic.

Until you have seen what a 6x6 cm slide projected by a Rollei or
Leica
6x6 projector, you could not appreciate the difference.

Jerry

Peter J Nebergall wrote:

At Indiana U, I was in charge of departmental slide presentations.
We
called those wheels "Roussiki Rouletto."
But those *&~^(*&^%$# Powerpoint projectors cost 5x the price and
are 50x
more unreliable.
I'm keeping my carousels.

P.J.Nebergall
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:31:50 -0400 ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
I love slide shows - I grew up with them - I don't anyone who
doesn't. And you're right about the quality. It's not with
relish
that I say how less common and practical they have become.

I should counter the trend and dust off my projector.

Thanks,

E.

On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

Elias et al.:
Your view of slide shows may just show the American bias.
Slide

shows or better multimedia projection with 1 to 9 projectors
is

alive and well in Europe and elevated to a fine art. Look at
he

list of current slide shows in this online (and hardcopy!)
magazine
dedicated to the art:
http://www.fotoforum.de/content/links/links_diashow.php?
linkauswahlfeld=KATdiashows

If you have ever compared a Rolleiflex (or Contax 645 etc.)
slide

projected from transparency next to a similar digital picture
projected with one of those "beamers" you will know why
people
still choose analog over digital projection.

Michael Martin ("Desert of the Earth") explains this much
more
convincingly on his website: http://www.michael-martin.de/
He likes the low light ability of digital cameras but much
prefers

the analog over the digital workflow (something I can really
relate
to). His slide show are all shot with Leica R8 cameras and
lenses

on Fuji Velvia 50 and sometimes Provia 400. Much of the time
he

does his landscape photography travel with a BMW motorcycle!

BTW:  Anyone selling a Rolleivision 66 dual  projector?
Jan

From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: News from Rollei-Berlin : no more
digital cameras bu
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:42:45 -0400
...To project on the wall? For real? Rollei is dropping
digital

cameras
and making b&w slide film for the six people out there still
putting
slide shows on?
Elias

--- Rollei List