[rollei_list] Re: slide shows alive and well in Europe

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:47:48 -0400

I, too, love slide shows. More than any other single thing, color slides got me interested in photography in the first place. My old Kodak Carousel still gets plenty of use, including with b&w slides made from negatives or prints. However, I have never seen any of my MF transparencies projected. Someday, maybe.

Allen Zak

On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:31 AM, ERoustom wrote:

I love slide shows - I grew up with them - I don't anyone who doesn't. And you're right about the quality. It's not with relish that I say how less common and practical they have become.

I should counter the trend and dust off my projector.

Thanks,

E.

On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Jan Decher wrote:

Elias et al.:
Your view of slide shows may just show the American bias. Slide shows or better multimedia projection with 1 to 9 projectors is alive and well in Europe and elevated to a fine art. Look at he list of current slide shows in this online (and hardcopy!) magazine dedicated to the art:
http://www.fotoforum.de/content/links/links_diashow.php? linkauswahlfeld=KATdiashows

If you have ever compared a Rolleiflex (or Contax 645 etc.) slide projected from transparency next to a similar digital picture projected with one of those "beamers" you will know why people still choose analog over digital projection.

Michael Martin ("Desert of the Earth") explains this much more convincingly on his website: http://www.michael-martin.de/
He likes the low light ability of digital cameras but much prefers the analog over the digital workflow (something I can really relate to). His slide show are all shot with Leica R8 cameras and lenses on Fuji Velvia 50 and sometimes Provia 400. Much of the time he does his landscape photography travel with a BMW motorcycle!

BTW:  Anyone selling a Rolleivision 66 dual  projector?
Jan

From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: News from Rollei-Berlin : no more digital cameras bu
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:42:45 -0400
...To project on the wall? For real? Rollei is dropping digital cameras
and making b&w slide film for the six people out there still putting
slide shows on?
Elias

--- Rollei List

- Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx