[rollei_list] Re: shooting with a rollei today

  • From: Frederic Fichter <ffichter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:10:37 +0200

If you're 17 years old, you have spots all over your face and no girl- friend, get yourself a Rollei TLR and experiment the babe-magnet thing...

Fred

On Oct 19, 2005, at 12:01 PM, Nick Roberts wrote:

I've found this for some time. You either get the
older guys who say "I used to have one of those - best
camera I ever had, don't know why I got rid of it",
the young lads who insist it must be a digital, or the
young girls who think it's the coolest thing they've
ever seen. Whatever, it's a more pleasant experience
than using a 35mm (or digital) SLR.

Nick

--- Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Interesting coincidence; I have been having the same
problem of late,
today included.  On each of my last few Rollei
outings numbers of
people approached with comments on the camera,
sometimes to the
detriment of my photography.  While the Rollei TLR
has formerly been
one of my favorites for street work, it is presently
almost impossible
to wield without notice.    This afternoon a school
girl who is taking
a photography course noticed my 3.5F.  When I let
her handle the handle
the camera, she looked at the ground glass and
exclaimed "This must be
a digital!"

So it's a nice camera to have on hand when you want
to be social.  To
date I have found no way to deal with it, other than
be nice to the
folks because they mean no harm and at least I can
share some Rollei
lore with them.

Allen Zak

On Oct 18, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Frederic Fichter wrote:

It's getting more and more difficult to shoot with

a TLR :

- You can't be taken seriously when doing

commercial job ("but my

grandfather had one like that...")
- You're on the streets with your Rollei... and

then suddenly

everybody is looking at your weird old camera, and

candids are flying

away from you...

How do you deal with that ?

Fred Fichter Web : http://homepage.mac.com/ffichter