[rollei_list] Re: shooting with a rollei today

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:02:15 -0400

Interesting coincidence; I have been having the same problem of late, today included. On each of my last few Rollei outings numbers of people approached with comments on the camera, sometimes to the detriment of my photography. While the Rollei TLR has formerly been one of my favorites for street work, it is presently almost impossible to wield without notice. This afternoon a school girl who is taking a photography course noticed my 3.5F. When I let her handle the handle the camera, she looked at the ground glass and exclaimed "This must be a digital!"

So it's a nice camera to have on hand when you want to be social. To date I have found no way to deal with it, other than be nice to the folks because they mean no harm and at least I can share some Rollei lore with them.

Allen Zak

On Oct 18, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Frederic Fichter wrote:

It's getting more and more difficult to shoot with a TLR :
- You can't be taken seriously when doing commercial job ("but my grandfather had one like that...")
- You're on the streets with your Rollei... and then suddenly everybody is looking at your weird old camera, and candids are flying away from you...

How do you deal with that ?

Fred Fichter
Web : http://homepage.mac.com/ffichter