[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] 4x5

  • From: John Jensen <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 20:52:43 -0800

Schott (OT)

________________________________

  When we got our new induction stove-top range (Thermador, old U.S. brand, but
now part of BSH) I looked into the glass manufacturer.  This unit is a Bosch
unit, made at a Bosch facility in Spain.  The top is called Ceran, a Schott
product , and is a so-called space age product, based on high temperature
ceramics used in the space program.  I believe there is a Zeiss corporative
connection (someone will have to verify this).  It is my understanding that
this 'new' technology derived from the breakthrough at Corning in the 50s that
resulted in the Corningware line of kitchen ware.  Pyrex proceeded Corningware
but this was something different.

We've had it for 5 years, works well. Five elements, two regular IR, three
induction.  When the IR elements are on, yes, they get very hot, extremely hot
to the touch on the glass surface.  But the induction 'elements' cool down very
quickly after they do their job.

I get a kick out of the connection with the stove top and the Zeiss lenses and
the B-W filters.

John