[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] 4x5

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 23:04:23 -0600

Wow, are we off topic.  Stand by for a note from someone or a moderator.

DAW

At 10:52 PM 1/4/2015, you wrote:
When we got our new induction stove-top range (Thermador, old U.S. brand, but now part of BSH) I looked into the glass manufacturer. This unit is a Bosch unit, made at a Bosch facility in Spain. The top is called Ceran, a Schott product , and is a so-called space age product, based on high temperature ceramics used in the space program. I believe there is a Zeiss corporative connection (someone will have to verify this). It is my understanding that this 'new' technology derived from the breakthrough at Corning in the 50s that resulted in the Corningware line of kitchen ware. Pyrex proceeded Corningware but this was something different.

We've had it for 5 years, works well. Five elements, two regular IR, three induction. When the IR elements are on, yes, they get very hot, extremely hot to the touch on the glass surface. But the induction 'elements' cool down very quickly after they do their job.

I get a kick out of the connection with the stove top and the Zeiss lenses and the B-W filters.

John