[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] 4x5

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 23:30:57 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2015 7:59 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] 4x5

Glass types improved dramatically in the post war period and higher index glass become more affordable for manufacturers... Many formulations were
recalculated and improved...

Eric Goldstein

This was partially because of the break up of the monopoly the Germans had on optical glass before WW-1. While some optical glass was made in France and England most of it, especially the Barium types, came from the Schott works in Dresden which was controlled by Zeiss. The "rare earth" glasses, which have many desirable optical properties, were developed at the National Bureau of Standards in the U.S. in the mid-1930s and developed commercially by Eastman Kodak. Kodak used it first in about 1940. I seem to have problems with names tonight so can't pull up the two fellows from NBS who hold the patents for rare earth glass. The range of index and dispersion of these glasses helped to make very superior lenses. The only problem was with thorium which is quite radio-active. Unfortunately thorium imparts desirable optical properties. It was used in some Kodak aerial lenses during WW-2 and radiates enough to cause "browning" or staining of the surrounding glass.
   I really think its time to get some sleep now.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles