[rollei_list] Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:15:57 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:43 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?

Lantern slides are the slides that predated 35mm slides. In short, they are
120 (6x6) slides sandwiched between two pieces of glass. The older
projectors were long metal things with a nice black wrinkled paint finish. I
had a medical entomology class from an old geezer at Tulane University who
had nothing but lantern slides for his lecture. Great pictures, like a
mosquito control truck towing a chemical spraying device (and the truck
looked like something Bonnie and Clyde rode in).

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/

Larger. Lantern slides were made in a number of sizes. The ones I remember from school were about 3-1/4 x 4-1/4. They were typically glass plates with a cover glass to protect the emulsion side. B&W slides were coated with an emulsion similar to slow enlarging paper. The slides were made by contact or projection printing from negatives. The lantern slide projectors I remember were made by American Optical or Bausch & Lomb (Balopticon) but there were other makes. In principal 35mm slides are lantern slides. The name comes from the earliest, pre-electric, projectors that used gas mantle type lanterns for light sources. These were similar to modern Coleman lanterns, higher power ones burned Acetylene.
Velox was originally a 'gas-light' contact printing paper invented by Leo Baekeland, the inventor of Bakelite. Baekeland sold his patent and company (the Nepara Chemical Company) to Eastman Kodak, who continued to make Velox paper although it was changed to a normal developing out paper with time. Gas-Light paper is paper that is slow enough to be processed under very subdued room light, that is without a safelight. The later Velox was Kodak's standard paper for photofinishers. It came in a very long range of contrast grades, 6 at one time, and, way back when, in a variety of surfaces and textures, but most Velox was single weight glossy. If you have old B&W snapshots the chances are they are printed on Velox. It has a characteristic Blue-Black image color. Nepara also made Nepara Solution, an early print developer somewhat similar to Dektol.
Kodak liked the name Velox and used it for other products aimed mostly at amateurs. BTW, I also have a book of Velox retouching dye I picked up somewhere. The dye is in squares printed on the backing paper.
Good lantern slides are extremely sharp, they make 35mm slides look mushy.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx