[rollei_list] Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:49:32 -0700

At 03:48 PM 8/21/2006 -0700, Dick wrote:

I sent a rather wordy answer to this from work last night. I am not sure with all the words that I made the point I wanted to. Anyway, both Flexichrome and dye transfer made use of differentially hardened gelatin. In Flexichrome the gelatin was painted with dye and became the final image. In dye transfer each matrix was soaked in the desired dye and then rolled against the final carrier to transfer the image somewhat similar to a lithographic plate. The type of emulsion used in both processes was similar.

The main thing I remember about dye transfer is that it took a lot of careful work, and I remember the punch that put the alignment holes in the materials, both during printing by the enlarger, and then when the dye was moved to the base material.

I never did it, just watched.

I think there were some nice features, the ability to change colors as desired, and the ability to change color density/saturation.

And Dick, I thought your comments from before were spot on.

DAW