[rollei_list] Re: Rollieflex Camera Dating II

  • From: "Dave Hunter" <dhunter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:55:57 -0300

Hi Richard:

On 6 Oct 2007 at 12:51, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>      How bad is your parts camera, perhaps it is actually a
> usable camera, it is surprizing how many seemingly serious
> problems respond to cleaning and re-lubrication.

Well, it needs a lot of work. Both lenses were severely fungused, The
viewing lense (Heidosmat 1:2.8 75 mm) was practically opaque. I have
managed to improve that lense, by disassembling it and  (carefully)
polishing the outer lense element with Novus number 2 plastic polish -
 no doubt this has removed any coating which was on the lense, but
has made it useable again.

The taking lense on that camera (Zeiss-Opton Planar 1:3.5 75 mm) is
cloudy between the elements of the outer set of elements - not as bad
as the viewing lense was, but bad enough that it needs to be
dissembled and cleaned.

I have cleaned its mirror and its focus screen with good results.

What is good about the camera, is the shutter appears to be working
at all speeds - but somewhat hesitant on the slowest speeds.

It needs new leather as well.

When it arrived, it was filthy, and the viewing lense was rolling
beside the camera in the box, and the leather was bumpy and damaged..

However, with all those problems, I haven't given up on it - I have
made great progress with the viewing lense.

So, I haven't given up on it, just a lot of work to do to it yet. It
will probably make a really good learning tool. I did learn a lot in
the work I have done to it so far, and of course, I will have the
other good one to use in the mean time :-)

I am told by the vendor of the one I consider a "parts" camera that
the camera spent much of its life in Cuba - probably the cause of the
fungus which was so severe...

So, as it stands now, all mechanical functions work, but the taking
lense still needs to be cleaned, the two lenses aligned insofar as
focus is concerned, and its leather needs replacement. It is now in
much better shape than when received.

Dave