[rollei_list] Re: Rollieflex Camera Dating II

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:16:39 -0400

At 03:51 PM 10/6/2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     Lens serial number data for Zeiss lenses up to the
>division of the company after WW-2 are available but serial
>number data for later lenses is more difficult to find.

There are two extensive and reliable listings of Postwar Zeiss lenses running up to the present. The most accessible is the Thiel compilations from factory records. Volume I covers Carl Zeiss Jena lenses from the beginnings to roughly 1922, Volume II runs CZJ from 1922 or so to the recovery of the company by the Zeiss Foundation in 1991, while Volume III covers all Zeiss-Opton and Opton and Carl Zeiss lenses manufactured at Oberkochen from its beginnings in 1948 to the present. Somewhat less easy to access but even more reliable is the Zeiss Lens List maintained by Charlie Barringer. This is less accessible as it is managed by a single individual and is more reliable as it is based on the actual numbers taken from lenses either in person by folks such as me and thee or from illustrations in books and literature such as camera catalogues and magazine articles -- one number was even scrounged from the opening credits of that rather unlikeable war movie of a few years back, U-571 (it is imaging the detail which can be brought out by freezing the frame on a DVD -- the lens in question was from a panning movie camera in the opening credits).

You will note that I am always asking for Zeiss and Zeiss-related numbers. I forward these to Charlie. You will also note that I generally try to field routine queries on lens numbers either from Thiele or Prochnow or from my own records, to spare Charlie. On occasion, when I have been unable to answer a query here or on the IDCC or Hasselblad List, I have asked Charlie for assistance and he has always been most forthcoming.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!