[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex T

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:33:07 -0800

Carlos,

When I lived in the UK (1992-4) I saw a number of T Rolleis with Xenars being offered for sale. They all had the Broad Arrow indicating military service, In fact a Mil Surplus dealer also had lots in new condition. I had little
interest then.

Jerry

On 11/21/2011 7:28 AM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
2011/11/21 Kirk Thompson<thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I wonder if the Xenars were a re-computed design, as the Tessars were, for
T's?  If the Xenars weren't, I can understand why the Xenars would not be
especially valuable and Tessar T's would be preferable.

(I'm asking because all this discussion has made me interested in trying a
Tessar T – or Xenar, if it's the same lens design.)

It is not mentioned in my Rollei literature a recomputed Xenar for the
T and it is not a known fact a recomputed Xenar for this camera,
however I'd bet Schneider recomputed it to reach Rollei specs and
Rollei customers specs, except if the Xenar already reached these
specs and Schneider needn't to recompute it, the Xenar in my 'cord IV
is an excellent lens; when Rollei needed a replacement for the Tessar
due to CZ post-war production problems, appeared Schneider with the
Xenar, when Rollei needed a replacement for the CZ Jena Biometar
appeared Schneider with the Xenotar 2.8/80, when the Planar 3.5/75
became 6 elements, the Xenotar 3.5/75 also became 6 elements a few
months later and then it wouldn't be rare a recomputed Schneider Xenar
appeared when Rollei needed it, but since there are no references
about this recomputed Xenar, it's very possible the existent
Rolleicord Xenar had a similar performance regarding the T Tessar.