[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Flash

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:07:52 -0500

Other factors, such as reciprocity effect, perceived sharpness etc. may have an effect on tonality or other visual aspects of a photograph, but I don't see how it could influence the modeling effect of the light as delivered from its source. In any event, I am glad flashbulbs, which I always hated, are no longer in common use, replaced by electronic flash. I also hate electronic flash, but for different reasons ;-)

Thanks much for the URL, which I bookmarked for a further look. For several decades I have used a filing card rubber banded to the back of my upturned reflector, then a Sto-fen, but always on the lookout for a better light modifier.

Allen Zak

On Jan 10, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Hi Carlos -

There is no question that the reflector has an effect... here is one
of the nicer one's I know of for strobe:

http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

That said, I very much doubt the simple flash lamp reflectors in use
at the time did much to manage the light in the manner you are
speaking of... I think it is due to some of the other factors we gave
been discussing...

Eric Goldstein

--

On 1/10/08, Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have compared several photographs taken by my father
with the 2.8C and Rollei Flash -B&W prints- in the
'50s and '60s regarding some photographs I took using
the same camera and electronic flash; the photographs
with bulb looks very good really, the light does not
produce so harsh shadows like the electronic flash
used in the wrong angle, however I think Allen is
right, the difference has to do with the reflecting
surface, the Rollei Flash light and the electronic
flash light are identical when you bounce the
electronic flash light on a white surface.
I couldn't compare color photographs, I found old
color prints taken with natural ligt only.

Carlos

      Yahoo! Encuentros.

Ahora encontrar pareja es mucho más fácil, probá el nuevo Yahoo! Encuentros http://yahoo.cupidovirtual.com/servlet/NewRegistration