[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Flash

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:50:10 -0600

At 11:13 AM 1/10/2008 -0500, you wrote:
I believe the softer look of flashbulbs has more to do with the shape of the reflector. If you use it without a reflector, bulb and electronic flash look pretty much the same.

Allen Zak

There is one other issue that used to be discussed a lot but which probably pays a part in the effects you get with strobe lights and flash bulbs.

Strobes tend to produce light with spectral peaks while flash bulbs produce light that is more even across the spectrum. Combine this with the sensitivity peaks in color film (probably not B&W film though) and there will be differences in the end result.

Sorry I don't remember any of the specifics any more but I would guess that some members of this forum will have that info in their memory banks,

DAW