[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Flash

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:11:54 -0600

At 02:46 PM 1/10/2008 -0500, you wrote:
From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>

I suspect there is something to this. Part of the flashbulb look is the longer burn time, which means less dead-on sharpness. A longer shutter on a strobe shot might yield something similar with an kind of ambient light level.

I also think film looks different when exposed to a 1/50,000 light burst, which the longer exposure would mitigate as well (again, with any kind of ambient light)...

Eric Goldstein

Not sure about the meaning of the term "dead-on sharpness" but there is something to the flash duration issue.

Reciprocity failure (affecting effective film exposure) was a significant factor in the early days of strobe systems. I think it's no longer a big issue, due either to changes in emulsions or simply accepting the fact that we lose a little of the energy from strobes is just accepted and factored in.

Again, memory fails me but I do remember (from the late 1950's) when building strobe lights for missile tracking that it was a concern.

For those not in the business then, the early tracking systems for Atlas, Minuteman, and Polaris missiles included not only electronic systems, but strobe lights carried on the missile and photographed against the star background by multiple, open shutter "ballistic cameras". Using the photographs from several cameras the launch folks were able to compute the trajectory of the missile as a back up to the electronic systems. The flash systems I designed used large flash tubes, quartz windows at the missile skin, and ran 2 flashes per second at 250 Watt-Seconds per flash until the bulb failed or the one-shot battery blew. Lot's of fun in the lab!

DAW