[rollei_list] Re: Question regarding 10 Blade Aperture for Rolleiflex TLR

  • From: "Evan Dong" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ejdong@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 15:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

Carlos,

Thank You for your detailed information. I search through my set of Rolleiflex
books and also the Internet. I was not able to find this type of information.
Basing on what you wrote, was the 10 blade aperture use to deplete their stock
before moving onto the newer 5 blade aperture? That would make sense not to
waste.

Good to know that its a transition camera in the making. I will shoot a roll
through before sending it off for a cla.

Thank You for identifying what I have.

Evan

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:40 AM, CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Evan:
                 According my knowledge, all Compur shutters used for
the Automat series from 1937 up to about 1953/54 - Compur Rapid CR00,
CR00 X, Synchro Compur Rapid CR 00 MX, Compur Rapid CR 0 X 1/400s,
Compur Rapid CR 0 MX 1/500s,
 Synchro Compur (Rapid) CR 0 MXV-  have
the 10 blades diaphragm. Your camera is within the first serial block
for the MX-EVS, it already has the Compur shutter with linear shutter
speeds, but it's very possible with the 10 blades diaphragm yet, a
transition model. My Rolleicord IV manufactured up to September 1954
has the Synchro Compur CR 00 MX (Rapid, non linear shutter speeds and
special spring for 1/500) with a 10 blades diaphragm.

> Carlos,
>
> Thank You for the breakdown of the MV-EVS series of Rolleiflex.
>
> I found that these series are better built when compared to the Rolleiflex
> T.
>
> I am in the process of selling off the Rolleifex T, to be replace by the
> MX-EVS Type 1 & 2.
> Of course condition is paramount, especially for the optics.
>
> In my most recent purchase of a MX-EVS, I notice the actual shape of the
> aperture to be round. I compared it against my other MV-EVS Type 1 & 2, plus
> the Rolleiflex T. Beside this one MX-EVS, the other Rolleiflex has the five
> blade aperture shape of a pentagon.
>
> I thought that only the 2.8C had the 10 blade aperture ad no other
> Rolleiflex camera afterwards. I was a tad surprise, so decide to ask for

 clarification.
> I searched eBay, as many variations are posted here and did find one example
> with plenty of photos.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolleiflex-3-5-A-Automat-6x6-10-BLADES-MX-K4A-TLR-ZEISS-OPTON-TESSAR-75-3-5-/351025366961
>
> For Marc, collector of Zeiss Serial Number:
> Here are some of the serial numbers to help identify it.
> Body: 1449149
> View Lens: 689439
> Taking Lens: Carl Zeiss Tessar 1326936
>
> With the exception of the 10 blade aperture, this camera appears to be a
> standard MX-EVS Type 1.
>
> Hope that this additional information will help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Evan
>

> On Sunday, May 18, 2014 7:58 AM, CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> You can see the Rolleiflex 3.5B or MX-EVS with the first EVS version,
> mentioned in my post, in one of my blogs; it's the rare model with the
> word "Germany" in the diaphragm wheel; it's the finfth image (click on
> the thumbnail):
>
> http://dobleobjetivo.blogspot.com.ar/2006/10/rollei-news-7-1954-brochure.html
>
> Carlos

>> I can answer about the MX-EVS taking info from Prochnow Rollei Report
>> II and my own experience. The MX-EVS is the 3.5B for this author, he
>> does not distinguish Type 1 or Type 2 but there are some differences
>> within this model, enough for other authors to distinguish 1 and 2.
>> This was the first Rolleiflex TLR with EVS system, it was manufactured
>> between April 1954 till September 1956, there were two serial numbers
>> blocks for this
 camera:1,428,000 till 1,499,999 and 1,700,000 till
>> 1,737,999.- 94,000 3.5B or MX-EVS were manufactured. The camera was
>> provided with three different taking lens:Tessar 3.5/75 (Carl Zeiss
>> Jena), Opton Tessar 3.5/75 (Carl Zeiss Oberkochen), Xenar 3.5/75
>> (Schneider). This camera used the linear Synchro Compur CR00 MX for
>> the EVS for the first time in a Rolleiflex. From the camera serial
>> number 1,700,000 (starting the second serial numbers block) were
>> introduced improvements for the EVS, f.e. the neutral or free
>> position. For the author Evans these improvements are enough to call
>> the 3.5B "MX-EVS Type 2" from the serial number 1,700,000.-
>>
>> There were three technical moments for the EVS
 development. We can