[rollei_list] Re: Print Exchange(what am I looking at?)

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 00:08:21 -0400

> Mark, I've used the Hahnemühle 308gsm Photo Rag on my ancient Epson 2000P
> and it is as good or better than anything I've used on that printer for
> matte B&W prints.  The 2000P was Epson's first "archival" pigment ink
> printer and I still use it for matte surface B&W printing.  It wasn't clear
> from Dennis' original post which of the photo rag papers were being used.
>
> There are half a dozen inkjet "baryta" papers out now that purport to
> emulate the papers from the wet darkroom.  I've only tried the Harman so
> far...it sure smells like "real" fiber silver gelatine photo paper even if
> the prints are not quite the same....
>
> Jeff

Jeff I don't subscribe to the thinking that an inkjet print should strive to
look like a darkroom print. Or a darkroom print should strive to look like a
Platinum print. And so on - There are twenty or forty ways to make a
photograph. A hundred for all I know.

To me an inkjet print looks like a cross between a silver print and a
Platinum print.

So if anything a darkroom print can strive to look like an inkjet print for
all I care. That may be what I'll be thinking next time I darkroom print.
Can I make images as good as the ones I've been making for the past 4 years?

But the main thing is one process needs to have integrity into itself and
not try to look like another process. Threes really no point to it.
Does a water color try to look like an oil painting?

If someone really is in the mindset that the only legitimate photograph is a
darkroom silver print they should not be making inkjet prints.
Or platinum prints.
Or gum Bromoil whatever its called.
But make darkroom prints till the cows come home.

I do think there are plenty of options.

Photogravure is one.
Uses ink. Known far and wide to be far superior to what comes out of a late
20th century darkroom. Or into the next.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogravure
*

Silver does not rule. Never has.
People need to do their history.
Half hour a day.

* Photogravure is an intaglio printmaking process initially developed in the
1830s by Henry Fox Talbot in England and Nicéphore Niépce in France. These
early images were among the first photographs, pre-dating daguerreotypes and
the later wet-collodian photographic processes.

Mark William Rabiner