[rollei_list] Re: OT: "Alternative" Processes

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:38:58 -0400

Photogravure is one.
Uses ink. Known far and wide to be far superior to what comes out of a late 20th century darkroom.

Having done some simple intaglio work (some time ago), I'll have to admit that I'd take the compromise of the darkroom or the inkjet any time, over the gargantuan task that is photogravure. If you've never wiped and printed an aquatint or etching, you have no idea what a laborious and demanding process is. It requires strong organizational skills, solid knowledge of the chemistry, confidence, strong back and forearms and wrists, nimble dexterous hands, mechanical ability, some heavy equipment, and plenty of time and space. Just reading the very good description of the process in Wikipedia is tiring.

If we're going to say that inkjet is easy in comparison to silver gelatin printing, and therefore less impressive, than what could we say about silver gelatin printing once we compare it to photogravure?

I'm glad you brought this up Mark - it reminded me to open my mind, as it reminded me of the copper & zinc plates that humbled me in art school. It also reminds me why I love to work in my darkroom: it's fun and easy.

Maybe in Fall I'll make a photogravure print.

E.