[rollei_list] Re: Tri-X developer

  • From: slobodan dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 20:39:26 -0700

Thanks for reminding of this.
I used to dump 8oz of old '76 in my fresh batch.
Time to go back to that.
I have several hundred rolls of 120 to catch up.
Might as well do it right.
s.d.

On May 23, 2008, at 7:56 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

BTW one can mix something closer to an optimum version of D-76 by reducing the amount of sulfite to 80 grams/liter and using the buffered form. This has 8 grams of Borax (granular) and 8 grams of Boric Acid (crystals) per liter. The activity can be adjusted by varying the ratio of Borax to Boric acid. With equal amounts as above the activity will be the same as fresh mixed standard D-76. The advantage is that the activity will not change with time. Also, D-76, when fresh, has a slight tendency to fog. This can be eliminated by adding about 0.25 gram/liter of potassium bromide to it. This suppresses the slight fog and produces a very slight increase in effective film speed. If you use replenished D-76 enough bromide will accumulate from the film to preclude the need for adding any although the small amount above will act as a sort of "ripener" for it reducing the change in activity from fresh to equalibrium state.