[rollei_list] Re: People and Photo Permissions

  • From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:50:20 -0500

I know Americans feel it is their right to sue for and about everything
and nothing, and this is frightening to photographers, especially those
not wealthy or engaged in the practice of law -- but there really are
specific laws detailing who/what you may photograph, and what you can and
cannot do with the pictures.  I tried to synopsize them in STREET PHOTOG,
in a chapter titled: "Photography and the Law."

You CAN photograph w/o permission in many cases, so long as the venue is
"a public place," and your images are not held to be libelous/slanderous.
 You CANNOT use any recognizable person's image for "commercial purpose"
without their permission/release.  Commercial purpose is broadly
interpreted to mean "advertising."

So you may be OK.

PJ Nebergall