[rollei_list] Re: Old film

  • From: David Seifert <dseifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:56:51 -0700

Marvin,

I am with you 100% on film and understand the bias about old paper
(although Kodak presents lab results which totally refute the bias, but
I won't go there).  You lose me on meters, however.  I feel silly using
my wonderful modern Sekonic L-508 with a Rollei TLR.  Exactly what is
the point in knowing that the "correct" exposure  is f/13.7?  Can't
select it, and even if I could the accuracy (or inaccuracy, if you
prefer) of the system is such that it wouldn't matter anyway.  A nice
Gossen Luna-Pro or Weston Master are decidedly better matches for a
Rollei, IMHO!  It helps take my mind off the technology and focus more
on the image.

I love my modern meters for all the tricks the can do, like triggered
flash multi-spot averaging.  When you need it, it really helps out.
Most of the time they are more like the annoying geek who, when asked
for the time, looks at his button laden mostly a computer, barely a
timepiece wrist ornament and proudly tells you that "it is 5:52 and 27
seconds".  What you really needed to know is that it is "about 6".  It
is about information theory.  Unusable information is a waste to both
generate and transmit.

Best,
David