[rollei_list] Re: Old film

  • From: Stefan Kell <skba.unat@xxxxxx>
  • To: John Jensen <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:58:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 28 May 2005, John Jensen wrote:

> Again, great photos from my time as a child.
>
> Coincidentally, I just did an internet purchase of an
> Epson Perfection 4870 which I believe is one Epson
> 'generation' beyond yours.  I am hoping for the best.

I was able to use this scanner in the last few weeks. I prefer to use
the bundled silverfast (LE?) software. It has more options than the
Epson software. Also the Epson software tries to automtically detect the
position of the slides and negatives but sometimes it gets this wrong
and you cannot correct this. This happens especially if part of the
subject near the border is very dark.

Scanning of color slides, I tried it with Fuji Velvia, is very good but
I doubt if the scanner has a real resolution better than 1600 dpi.

Scanning of b&w negatices has been disappointing for me: I used a couple
of 120 rolls of Ilford FP4 and HP5 and the scans were very grainy. This
could be the so called "grain alias" effect, see
"http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm";.

Scanning time at 1200 or 1600 dpi were acceptable, at higher resolutions
the scanner gets very slow.

Regards

Stefan Kell