[rollei_list] Re: Old film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:23:04 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Lehrer" <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 12:40 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Old film

> Richard,
>
> Was that last Agfacolor any relation to Anscochrome?  I
> used
> it a lot in the late 40's and the 50's.  The ones I have
> still have
> excellent color.  The Ektachromes have really
> deteriorated, but
> the Kodachromes are still perfect.
>
> Jerry

  It is. However Anscochrome and Anscocolor (negative
material) were advanced over the earlier materials.
Unfortunately, the Ansco materials used by the motion
picture industry c.1950 proved to be very unstable. I have
seen a lot of German war footage in color. It must have been
Agfacolor or Agfachrome. It looks pretty good on TV but is
grainy compared to Kodachrome.
  BTW, I remember seeing _Bwana Devil_, a 3-D movie, when it
was first released. One thing I noticed at the time but
didn't know the reason for was the washed out looking color.
This is just what Anscocolor looked like. I was used to
seeing Technicolor with its high contrast and saturation.
The Ansco stuff was sure weak tea in comparison. Ansco came
out with their films about a year before Kodak announced
Eastman Color, the motion picture version of Ektacolor. It
was better but also turned out to be unstable although not
as bad as Anscocolor.
   One advantage of Anscochrome for home use was that
processing it was simple and relatively cheap. My first
experience with color in the darkroom was processing a roll
of 120 slides taken with my original Rolleicord IV. They
were not bad considering I probably made all sorts of
mistakes. I also once tried Ansco Printon, a direct positive
printing material for making prints from transparencies. I
think the stuff I had was outdated (I couldn't have afforded
it otherwise). Anyway it was awful. I have since seen some
very good looking Printon. Evidently some people had the
magic. At least one big N.Y. lab offered Printon as an
adjunct to Kodak Dye Transfer printing.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA