[rollei_list] Re: OT: development

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 19:49:57 -0700

On 5/21/05 7:07 PM, "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:

> Mark Rabiner:
>
>> Selenium toning was in this case ALSO in the category of "intensification"
>> As that is what it does. And is.
>> In the darkroom handbooks of long gone with the wheels and paper samples and
>> the charts it was always on the list of intensifiers. But on the bottom in
>> order of effect.
>>
>> But The advantage being that while all other intensifiers makes for a neg.
>> whose lifetime is tenuous selenium does the opposite. It makes for in effect
>> "archival" negs.
>> And makes them prettier too!
>

> Understood but in the case of this neg intensification beyond toning was
> used. The shot was unmetered and the negative thin. As you know, there are
> three major printings of "Moonrise" of varying contrast and "drama," and the
> notes for all of them are complex...
>

> Eric Goldstein

The "style" of black and white printing changed during the century Ansel was
alive printing. I saw a show of his old prints and had in effect a "before
an after".
When he started out doing his first portfolios the look of black and white
printing as we know it now was rare or non existent.
It was warm and soft.
We are now cool or at least neutral and "hard".
The blacks we expect to get now were not possible or not the concern then.

Now it's a "bromide" look. The bromide based papers have taken over.
Before it was a "chloride" ballgame.
Most papers then and now being a bromide chloride mixture. Chlorobromide.
Bromocloride.
But the bromides are winning.
But I've giving up waiting for Ilford to come out with its Cooltone in
Fiber. I'll just have to get my cool fiber from elsewhere.
But the bromides are winning but with a brief hiatus in the 70's with the
silver scare scam and all the papers having their silver taken out of them
by the accountants except for Agfa Portriga. Which had it's decade of glory.
I never cared for the stuff and did what I could with the then silver
depleted Agfa Brovira. Which had a secret loyal following.
People used all kinds of "tricks" to cool down the warm tone Portriga.
Which was also an untenable for me two stops slower.
Then came Ilford Gallery to save the day and those guys born in 1984 never
had to know the bleak days of the great silver 70's depression. So cold the
fire froze. When we'd sell our kids for a pack of Portriga and see had soggy
Brillo pads soaking in our scummy fixer trying to leach out the silver. Not
me.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon