[rollei_list] Re: OT: Sliders

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:11:48 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 7:45 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Sliders

It is not true that the flavor in meat is from the fat. The tender in meat comes from the fat. You can cook very lean cuts of meat and get great flavor
if you know how...

Eric Goldstein

I agree with this, lean meat can taste wonderful if its cooked right. It can even be tender. I have given up meat a couple of times. It never lasted too long but, during my vegaterian periods I did find that cooking steaks smelled and tasted of tallow. I think you get used to whatever you are doing. I am on a diet now and eat minimal meat but the fact is that there is more fat in some other things and meat is satisfying. If you begin to look what is in different foods you will quickly discover that some things that are supposed to be "good" for you probably are not. For instance, I love Salmon but its got a lot of cholesterol in it, as does much fish. However, its supposed to have the lowest amount of mercury. Avoiding high cholesterol foods is not too difficult but avoiding salt is a real bear. Nearly all prepared foods have loads of salt. I do not need to eliminate salt but am trying to minimize it. I no longer put salt on anything. After a while you will find that many prepared foods, for instance canned vegetables or especially soups, taste mostly of salt, one has no difficulty in rejecting them. I don't know how much avoiding salt has affected my blood pressure because I've lost about 35pounds. My resting BP is now down to around 100 to 115 over about 60. Measured 105/58 at the doctor's office today. I am continuing to loose weight, albeit slowly, have about another 30 pounds to go. More than eating bad stuff we just eat too much. Cut down your calories and it makes much less difference what you eat as long as you are getting adequate nutrition.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA