[rollei_list] Re: OT: Sliders

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:30:00 -0400

>      There is a good article about White Castle at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_%28restaurant%29
>
> Also, a search of Google Patents for "White Castle System"
> will turn up some interesting stuff. They have patents on
> paper hats and the machines to make them, on the portable
> store buildings, fertilizer spreaders, and methods of
> freezing and dispensing food. I could not find the patent
> for perforating the meat patties but know it exists.
>      I remember the first White Castle I ever saw. It was on
> Livernois avenue in Detroit near our home. I remember some
> sort of endless chain cooker there. The burgers tasted
> faintly rancid, I don't think I ate another for many years.
> The ones from vending machines still taste faintly rancid, I
> guess they are supposed to.
>      Somehow White Castle reminds me of a 1940's science
> fiction story by Jack Williamson (I think) called _With
> Folded Hands_.

Most of the times I went to the white castle on Big Bend Boulevard in St
Louis in the mid 70's right off the campus of Washington University I'd
hitch hike there in quite an altered state at 3 in the morning with other
kids from the Freshman dorm it was like a silver elevated Airstream trailer
way up high. A cross between a space ship and a submarine. Anybody who tried
eating the burgers usually barfed them up in the parking lot.  Not me I
watch and I learn.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner