[rollei_list] Re: OT: Sliders

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:17:03 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:06 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Sliders

At 01:59 AM 3/19/2010, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     Somehow White Castle reminds me of a 1940's science
>fiction story by Jack Williamson (I think) called _With
>Folded Hands_.

I appreciate that.  I discussed "With Folded
Hands" with Williamson in correspondence decades
back.  He was really proud of the work.  YOU
should read it, Richard.  It really is
frightening.  I think it is available on
Google.  If not, I will scan a copy and send it to you.

In any event, White Castle slyders are nasty,
greasy, undercooked filth. A rejection of decent food. Horrible stuff.

Marc

Well, of course I have read it. Its several anthologies. It was also one of the earliest of the stories dramatized on _Dimension X_ an experimental SF radio program which was a summer replacement for somthing on NBC in the late 1940's. This show was later re-titled _X Minus One_. I think the earlier ones were better. It became quite cutesey tongue in cheek in its later days. There are a number of these shows at http://www.archive.org Like everything else there the quality varies from pretty good to unlistenable. The show was recorded at NBC in New York, a few original tapes survive; they are very high quality. I originally heard the story on this program, it gave me nightmares.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA