[rollei_list] Re: OT: Miscellany

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:42:55 -0400

At 01:16 PM 9/10/2007, Robert Lilley wrote:
>Memory lane - My youngest son is in a Stryker unit in Iraq (2nd Cav Reg
>patrolling Sadr City).  What is interesting is that he arrived in Iraq a day
>after his 21st birthday in August, 2007.  I arrived in Vietnam on my 21st
>birthday, October 15, 1969 - also Moratorium Day which all my civilian
>friends took part in.  He is my third son to have a tour in Iraq. Ya think
>we would have learned.

Well, my son is very much a civilian and is back to the Small family norm: for close to 300 years, my people have only served during moments of extreme national crises, and then did so willingly. No one in my direct family, for instance, was ever drafted, as we always volunteered. My son, a committed geneaologist, smugly reminds me that he is staying loyal to the tradition. (My father and I and a distant cousin were the only three to ever stick around long enough to retire from the military: the others were always in the front door when the US declared War and out the back door when Peace broke out. None of my family served in Korea or Viet-Nam save for that distant cousin, who pulled a hitch in Nam shortly before she was retired. I never met her and Dad last saw her around 1940.)

"Moratorium Day" brings back a lot of memories, as I was in college then. I detested these rapid Leftist denigrators and negativists but, at the same time, I fervently opposed US involvement in South-East Asia but did so from the opposite political track: I am a rational anarcist and, thus, a committed isolationist. At the time, I viewed the Viet-Nam War as an outgrowth of the nutso activism of Kennedy and Johnson. I had a lot of friends who were protesters: at the Viet-Nam Day protest in May, 1970, I got into a shouting match with the protesters and told them all that they'd sell out immediately after graduation and become suits and so they did: all of them whom I know ended up as senior corporate executives or stock-brokers or the like. Whenever I run into one of these guys today, they deny that they were there or just say, "well, that was then ..."

Douglas MacArthur, from the 1930's, firmly opposed any US military involvement on the Asian mainland. He adopted this position for several reasons but, primarily, from a visceral understanding that the US political system would never be able to define "victory" in such a conflict in any realistic way, so that the conflict would end up with US casualties resulting in a most unsatisfactory truce, at the best, if not outright defeat. (Yes, it was his holding of this position which ended up getting him fired for very muddy reasons by Truman, a Pyrrhic victory which forced MacArthur onto Civvie Steet but removed any remaining possibility of Truman's re-election in 1952.)

The US committed combat troops to Viet-Nam without any concept of WHY we there or WHAT we were trying to accomplish by our presence. We have done the same in Iraq. I have no time at all for Cindy Sheehan and her ilk but I still feel that we should load up and pull out. We lack the ability to control Iraq -- when the British had riots in Fallujah in 1924, they resolved the issue by bombing the town and inflicting upwards of 5,000 civilian casualties. We lack the resolve to conduct such a war (and kudos to us for feeling that way!) and so we have no business there. In the end, the US should only go to war when US national interests are at stake, and there are just no such interests at play in Iraq.

Sorry to rattle on at such length, but the mention of Moratorium Day resonated with me!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!