[rollei_list] Re: OT: Ansco Reflex Camera

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 14:36:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

    Wollensak was a main supplier of custom (OEM) lenses and shutters. Ansco
probably had a choice of Wollensak or Ilex, perhaps B&L. Cost may have been a
factor but, at the time, Wollensak had a good reputation. For instance, they
were making lenses for Graflex which Graflex sold under their Optar brand. Some
of these lenses were excellent, some were dogs. Wollensak also made excellent
shutters, the Ansco Reflex shutter is almost certainly a Wollensak shutter.
Also, at the time the Ansco Reflex came out German lenses and shutters were in
short supply. I suppose Ansco could have used Kodak lenses but Kodak was their
main rival.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx