[rollei_list] Re: OT: Ansco Reflex Camera

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:27:56 -0400

Don't you just long for those good old days when you could just call a spade a spade? ;->

Allen Zak

On May 15, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:

Thank you both Sandy and Richard. Someday i will run across someone carrying
one and i will be able to see it. I know Wollansak made some good lenses but i
would have expected a premier camera like this ansco to carry a special named
lens with more cache, even if a Wollansak, because European lenses were in
short supply.-- As for corporate logic being an oxymoron, you have no idea of
how well the terms of ox and moron fit together if you have not served time on
an academic campus. What the academic life lacks in financial rewards, it more
than compensates for with sheer open-eyed, you got to be kidding, dumb. For
instance, had the Ansco reflex been designed on a campus, it would not have had
a lens on the premise that lenses are divisive and subject to "look-ism".
Shutters would be fine, as long as each speed (and gender of speed) was given
equal prominence. There could be no leather covering, for all the reasons you
know and apertures would be listed as mellow, better, over achiever etc. Do I
have to tell you that camera straps are......not gender neutral. And as for
the non-leather covering being black, that would be an implied insult to
African Americans who were being allegorized as being "external".

.....maybe an academic was responsible for choosing Wollansak?

Jerry F.

--- SandyF <sbf70@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi there Jerry ...
The Ansco is a TANK! but that's not as much of a disadvantage as might appear
... the extra weight makes hand holding at slow speed much easier. The
the shutter prior to shooting is certainly NOT convenient. Other than that, I
get excellent results, but then again, it is possible that I am easily
satisfied!
It is a FUN camera ... not unlike my Baby Rollei ... whenever I take either
of them out (which I do regularly), I always get comments from some AK as to
"Where do you get film" or "Gee ... I haven't seen one like that in xxxx
years!"
As to Corporate Logic ... having been involved with that for many years, I
defer from answering your question ... in fact, the entire subject may be an
oxymoron!

Sandy F. Ö¿Ö¬
-- Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Sandy:

As you are the only person I have ever heard of that actually owned an Ansco
reflex, I have to ask you about how you like it. How are the controls, etc
compared with a rollei and what kind of results can you get from the lens? It
has always been a mystery to me why Ansco put a less well known lens on so
expensive a camera. What was their logic, do you think?

Jerry F.
--- SandyF <sbf70@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an Ansco Automatic Reflex that I have been using (very happily) for
lo
these many years (although I must admit that it is a tank compared to my
Rollei)! On checking with a flashlight, I do find the the (2) bright
reflections and one (1) dim one.
Unfortunately, I cannot find a serial number on either the camera body or
the
lens ... for what that bit of information is worth!

Hope this helps.

Sandy F. Ö¿Ö¬

--- Rollei List