[rollei_list] Re: OFF-TOPIC - Bicycles

  • From: David Restall - System Administrator <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:03:26 +0100

Hi,

Thu Jun 08 15:25:00 2006 - Eric :-

> This has been a great education for me. Since we have screamed tht
> this is OT, one more question... how good/bad an idea is this?
>
> http://www.bikeengines.com/

Hmmm.  Sort of defeats the object.  It's the cycling equivalent
of a digital camera.  It's just not the same as doing it yourself.
I was out a couple of weeks ago on Emily (so called because like all
Suffragettes she spends a lot of time chained to railings) and I had
ridden for 6 undulating miles up a 300m climb against a pretty nasty
wind and I was getting a bit fed up.  At the top the road turned and
the wind was more favourable.  I then sped up and was flying - I was
cheered by some motorists parked at the roadside.  Now that was living,
that was a manual Rollei, that was not a P&S do it all digital :-)  When
I turned off, I turned into the headwind proper and I had to pedal down
the hills.  I could not make more than 8mph on the flat :-(  You know
you are alive after days like that, you know nothing with an engine.
I should have gone round the route in the opposite direction, but that
would have meant getting to the cafe too early.

I've not managed to take a good photograph (one that says how I feel)
about the hills round here, but when I do this will be where I post
them :-)

Regards,

Dave
mail/rollei-users/rl-2006-06-08.tx
rollei.list
| Dave Restall,       IIRC Limited, PO Box 46, Skelton, Cleveland, TS12 2GT. |
| Tel. 0845 10 80 151    Mob. +44 (0) 7973 831245   Int. +44 (0) 1287 653003 |
| email : dave@xxxxxxxx       dave@xxxxxxxxxxx     Web : http://www.iirc.net |
| "You stay here, Audrey -- this is between me and the vegetable!"           |
|         -- Seymour, from _Little Shop Of Horrors_                          |