[rollei_list] Re: OFF-TOPIC - Bicycles

  • From: "Roger M. Wiser" <rwiser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 07:11:44 -0500

An intersting off subject topic. I owned a number of bikes in my lifetime. My first 10 speeds were the Raleighs and Schwins. Schwins used to be made in nearby Chicago and sold by dealers now they are made in China and sold by Wal-Mart and Target. Mountain bikes types see to be the craze right now. When I gave up biking 5 years ago I had a Cannondale 21 speed racing type. Being of the Rollei and Jerry L. vintage I was not agile enough to get on and off of it easily. My point is that I re-entered biking again last year with a Giant "Revive" which is a "comfort" bike described as follows.

"The Revive was engineered to be a fun, easy and comfortable bike to ride. The unique design allows a low step over height and the ability to touch the ground when stopped. The upright riding position gives you a broad view of the road while keeping your back and neck in neutral upright position. The suspension gives you a smooth comfortable ride."

It has 20" wheels and is an 8 speed, a bit heavier than the norm but extremely easy for the normal ride. It has an adjustable spring in the rear part of the frame to make up for rigidity. With the 8 speed it leaves a bit to be desired on hills compared my mountain bike which I would use on long trips or on rougher terrains .The Revive is said to be a type between a recumbent and a regular bike. Giant has made this type since 2002. The price ranges from $500 to $2,000, the later being an up graded model with a booster electric motor.

----- Original Message ----- From: "dnygr" <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>