[rollei_list] Re: Nikon Coolscan 9000 Information Quest

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:13:09 +0200

I downloaded and tried out both recently for my Canon 9950F.

Using VueScan I had a scan done in a few minutes, that was better in every way as compared to the Canon ScanGear software (included with the scanner). The difference was huge.

Using SilverFast, I never did manage to make a scan, and finally deleted it off my drive. Good riddance. Many people love it, I couldn't get it to make a simple scan (yes, I read the instructions, bla bla bla). I bought VueScan.

I think both programs will allow you to attain excellent results, but the GUI's are as different as can be, so I would try before you buy.

Also, SilverFast is locked to one scanner Make/model when you buy it, while VueScan supports pretty much every scanner ever made.

My take as a scanning newbie.

Cheers,
Thor

On 1 Apr, 2008, at 12:58, Mark Rabiner wrote:
Frederic,
People use the Vue Scan (amazingly cheap!)
or the Silverfast Software. (amazingly expensive!)
No one uses the Nikon Software.
It's for babies.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com